Paroisse Ste-Anne Des Pins
Institutional & Cultural
Established in 1883, Sainte-Anne’s Church was the first catholic French speaking community in the Greater Sudbury area. The historic church located in Sudbury’s downtown core was razed to the ground by fire in 1992. This project entails its reconstruction.
The design was guided by the religious concept of “Domus Ecclesiae”or House of the Church. The direct participation of the whole congregation is highly promoted by the placement of the altar in the centre of the assembly. Of the 350 seats, the furthest from the altar is only thirteen pews away. The rites surrounding the entrance and the exit from the inner church are enhanced by the large and inviting entrance hall. This hall replaces the traditional outside steps of the church and affords an appropriate area in which to receive the parishioners before and after the services. The placement of the building in the grounds takes full advantage of the site’s established trees. Several new red pines were added to enhance the appearance of the grounds and the neighbourhood’s green space. Sainte Anne-des-Pins offers a spiritual and physical oasis in the city’s core.
Louis Bélanger – Principal, Project Architect
Denis Comtois – Lead Interior Design
Robert André – Technical Staff
Nello Mozzon – Lead Technical Staff
- Location: Sudbury, ON
- Completion: 1995
- Building Area: 12 000 sq. ft.
- Industry: Institutional & Cultural